San Francesco square
Piazza San Francesco is considered the fulcrum of modern Arezzo . It is rectangular in shape and opens at the intersection of Via Guido Monaco and the ancient route of Vallelunga (today’s Via Cavour), marking an obligatory access point – also due to the presence of the Church of San Francesco and its precious frescoes – to the oldest part of the city.
The current appearance of the square is largely the result of the enlargement achieved in the second half of the nineteenth century, with the opening of Via Monaco and the demolition of a wing of the pre-existing Franciscan convent. A recent restoration project has brought back to its original level the area in front of the churchyard, under which interesting archaeological finds have been brought to light.
On the opposite side of the square stands the building of Palazzo Lambardi , former seat of the Accademia dei Costanti, while at the eastern end is the monument to Vittorio Fossombroni, by Pasquale Romanelli (1867).
The square is full of bars and restaurants and at night it becomes one of the most popular places for young people in the city.