Sant’ Agostino church
The Church of Sant’Agostino overlooks the homonymous square of Arezzo.
The first building of this building dates back to mid-thirteenth . But already after a hundred years the church was the object of a complete reconstruction that lasted until the last years of the fifteenth century. In the sixties of the eighteenth century it was still strongly altered and reduced in size.
In the Church dedicated to Sant’Agostino precious works are preserved. The oldest are a fresco with San Bernardino between the Saints Girolamo and Ignatius dated 1498 and attributed to the workshop of Lorentino D’Andrea, imitator in the ways of Pier della Francesca and a fragmented altarpiece (due to a theft immediately) depicting the Circumcision of Jesus. The work, datable to the second decade of the 16th century, was performed by several authors: Niccolò Soggi, Domenico Pecori and Fernando de Cola.
We find a hand similar to the one that painted the painting of San Bernardino in some of the Renaissance frescoes that decorate the Pieve di Sietina, near Castelluccio, not far from Arezzo.