The church of Santa Maria della Pieve is located in the historic center of Arezzo, between corso Italia, on which the façade faces, and piazza Grande, on which the apse faces.
The façade, rebuilt in the XIII century , by three lodges supported by small columns; the two lower lodges are arched, the third, the upper one, is architrave. The crowning of the façade has no tympanum.
In the lower part of the façade, there are three splayed portals; the central one, presents the Virgin lunette between two angels and allegorical representations of the months in the archivolt with the artist’s name, Marchio, and the date 1216 .
On the right of the façade stands the bell tower, called one hundred holes for the mullioned windows, ten on each side, arranged on five superimposed orders.
On the back of the church there is the large semicircular apse , decorated with round arches and single-lancet windows that give light inside and to the crypt.
Inside, the transept placed in front of the presbytery with beamed pillars was designed. Additions of chapels, newsstands and frescoes occurred in the fourteenth century. The polyptych with the Virgin with the Child and the saints Giovanni Evangelista, Donato, Giovanni Battista and Matteo commissioned to Pietro Lorenzetti in 1320 remained testimony of this moment. The reliquary bust of Donato, preserved in the crypt, in gilded silver, with translucent enamels and precious stones, was executed in 1346.
The baptismal font, of hexagonal shape and with panels representing Stories of Saint John the Baptist, by Giovanni d’Agostino (1332-1333) is also from the 14th century. Great works of transformation of the church were made by Giorgio Vasari in 1560 . From existing documents, it is certain that the remains of Giorgio Vasari and his wife Nicolosa de Bacci, placed together in an urn, rest inside the tomb that is under the floor inside the church of Santa Maria Assunta.
The main altar was replaced by the family altar, today it is located in the abbey of the Saints Flora and Lucilla .