The amphitheater is located in the southern part of the “ walled city ” and is considered the most important Roman monument of Arezzo. It clearly bears witness to the importance that “Arretium” had in Roman times. It was built in the first half of the 2nd century, probably at the time of Emperor Hadrian; it was brought to light in 1915 and restored several times after World War II.
Erected with sandstone blocks, bricks and marble, the amphitheater is presented in the classic elliptical shape, with two tiers of steps. The major axis is m. 121 and the minor of 68: it is believed that the circus could hold 8-9 thousand spectators.
The construction was sacked over the centuries, especially when – in the sixteenth century – it was used as a stone quarry to build, on the southern hemicycle, the Monastery of St. Bernard, which today houses the Archaeological Museum “Gaius Cilnius Maecenas”; but also when the stone material was used to raise the Medici walls, or – at the end of the eighteenth century – to expand the Seminary.
After the stripping of the stones, the amphitheater remained partially buried. Among the remains is still visible part of the platea , with around some ruins of the ambulacrums, picturesquely framed by pines and cypresses.