Il prato park
Located between the Cathedral and the Medicean Fortress, the “ Prato ” is the oldest and most suggestive city park in Arezzo, due to its elevated position, its centuries-old trees and its location in an area of great interest archaeological. It occupies the surface of a vast natural depression, which two centuries ago separated two hilltops, corresponding to the settlements of the Cathedral and the Fortress.
Once the difference in height over the centuries has been filled, the area was set up – in the early nineteenth century – in a public garden , a venue for concerts, round horse races, aerostatic and pyrotechnic shows.
The current extension, from Porta Stufi to the southern bastion of the Fortress (near which Roman archaeological remains are visible), was reached in the first half of the twentieth century. At the 1928 dates the marble group of the monument to Francesco Petrarca, a work by Alessandro Lazzerini, located in the center of the park.
The square is full of bars and restaurants and at night it becomes one of the most popular places for young people in the city.