Cathedral of San Donato
Dedicated to San Donato and San Pietro Maggiore, the Cathedral of Arezzo is an imposing Gothic building that stands on the top of a hill and dominates the whole city from above. Its construction was commissioned by the bishop Guglielmo degli Ubertini and started towards the end of the thirteenth century , but the construction had a troubled life: the works, often interrupted, ended only in the early sixteenth century.
The façade remained unfinished for centuries and was built in the Neo-Gothic style at the beginning of the twentieth century. The Roman-Gothic portal on the right side dates back to the fourteenth century and is flanked by two sections of porphyry column, remains of a pre-existing building, probably Roman; in the lunette there is a beautiful group of fourteen cocciopesto, representing a Madonna with Child , between S. Donato and Gregorio X. Next to the polygonal apse, the bell tower was erected, towards the middle of the Nineteenth century.
The interior is divided into three naves, divided by high beam pillars in various styles, which with the pointed arches give the structure a remarkable height. Beautiful stained glass windows, mostly a sixteenth century work by Guglielmo de Marcillat, which illuminate the works preserved there. In the right aisle, the Gothic sepulcher of Gregory X , dating back to the fourteenth century, and the Tarlati Chapel of 1334 stand out; above the high altar stands the Ark of St. Donato, a fourteenth-century work of several artists from Arezzo, Siena and Florence. In the left aisle are the precious fresco by Piero della Francesca depicting the Magdalene (painted around 1465) and the Cenotaph of Guido Tarlati of 1330. Of notable interest is also the large chapel of the Madonna del Conforto , work of the last eighteenth century that contains Della Robbia terracotta.